The popular messaging APP WhatsApp has been blocked (again) in Mainland China on the 18th of August, according to several users. The measure seems to comes as retaliation days after the media reported that Facebook Inc. (WhatsApp parent company) had launched an APP in the Chinese market in stealth mode. The App called Colourful Balloons was developed together in partnership with the Youge Internet Technology. (UPDATE) WhatsApp messaging application connectivity issue was solved on the 19th of August.
This blog post is a series which aims to update you every month on the latest updates to our platform and influent news the month.
We are very proud to have updated our websites link structure and design.
The update is aimed to keep our website up to date with the latest trends and most of all, simplify the user experience.
If you find any bug or errors please let us know: support(at)internetsolutions.hk so we can fix it as soon as possible.
Below is a screenshot of our new look.
Our Knowledgebase has new entries aimed at helping you solve issues and learn.
Here are updates made during the month of July:
- WEBSITE DESIGN UPDATE
- Connectivity Issues Server Athena
- Kernal Update
- Website Design Update
- Athena Server Reboot
Do you like our new website design? How helpful were these updates?
See you Next time with another ISHK Update.
Be sure to follow us on all our social channels as we aim to help you through your online success.
It is time again for a WordPress Update, as the WordPress development team has released WordPress 4.8 on June 8, 2017. This is the first Major WordPress Release of 2017 which has new features and enhancements. In this article, we will show what new features were added.
This version most previous versions are named after Jazz composers. This Edition is nicknamed “Evans” in honor of the Jazz pianist and composer William John “Bill” Evans.
If you have auto-update enabled via softaculous, you should have received an email alerting you of your website is updated.
If not, then you should be able to enable the updates by visiting the “Update” section withing your menu highlighted in the screenshot or see an alert within your WordPress Admin area.
NB. Create a Complete WordPress Backup before making an update.
Three New Media Widgets
- Image Widget – this widget enables you to add an image to the sidebar/widget area by selecting and/or uploading it to your media library with options for title and whether you want the image to have a link to a URL.
- Video Widget – similar to the image widget, this enables you to embed a video within your sidebar/widget area. You can either select/upload to your WordPress media library or use videos from YouTube, Vimeo and other oEmbed providers.
- Audio Widget – like the Image and video widgets, This widget enables you to easily add audio files to the sidebar/widget area. It uses an HTML5 audio player and supports MP3, OGG, and WAV audio file formats
- Rich Text Widget – in previous editions, The Text widget area didn’t include a much needed visual editor. This edition gives you an improved visual editor like the one used to composed blog entries.
Nearby WordPress Events
This New Dashboard widget displays news as well as events near your location. If you have multiple users of your website dashboard, each user will see events near their location.
This widget uses an IP at api.wordpress.org to guess the user’s location based on the IP address hence if you are using a VPN, events near your server will be prominent. You can also manually change the location to see events near your from around the world.
Have you ever tried updating a link, or the text around a link, and found you can’t seem to edit it correctly? When you edit the text after the link, your new text also ends up linked. Or you edit the text in the link, but your text ends up outside of it. This can be frustrating! With link boundaries, a great new feature, the process is streamlined and your links will work well.
Other Updates for WordPress 4.8
If you are a WordPress Developer then the following updates will be of interest. If you are not a developer, feel free to skip to the conclusion of this article.
- variable customizer width – If you have used the live customizer large screens, You may have noticed the sidebar looking narrow. This update makes the sidebar proportionate to the screen within the live customizer.
- username prominently displayed on edit user screen
- Tag cloud widget will not use title tag – the title tag is now replaced with the easily accessible aria-label attribute
- More Accessible Admin Panel Headings – New CSS rules mean extraneous content (like “Add New” links) no longer need to be included in admin area headings.
- Removal of Core Support for WMV and WMA Files – As fewer and fewer browsers support Silverlight, file formats which require the presence of the Silverlight plugin are being removed from core support. Files will still display as a download link, but will no longer be embedded automatically.
- Multisite Updates – New capabilities have been introduced to 4.8 with an eye towards removing calls to
is_super_admin()Additionally, new hooks and tweaks to more granularly control site and user counts per network have been added.
- Media Widgets API – The introduction of a new base media widget REST API schema to 4.8 opens up possibilities for even more media widgets (like galleries or playlists) in the future. The three new media widgets are powered by a shared base class that covers most of the interactions with the media modal. That class also makes it easier to create new media widgets and paves the way for more to come.
So those are the latest features and enhancements which were added to the latest version of WordPress. Feel Free to email us at support[at]internetsolutions[dot]hk if you run into any issues while making your update.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest tips, tricks, deals, and updates on how to improve your website, SEO, Business and More.
(Bloomberg) — Facebook Inc. is so keen to return to China that it built a tool that would geographically censor information in the country, according to the New York Times.
While that may help the Chinese government get comfortable with Facebook, the company’s re-entry may not happen for years, if at all, given licensing restrictions and other regulations that favor locally owned companies. China, which blocked the world’s largest social network in 2009, has few incentives to allow the social network in.
Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg visits China frequently, and yet the company is no closer to putting employees in a downtown Beijing office it leased in 2014, according to a person familiar with the matter. The company hasn’t been able to get a license to put workers there, even though they would be selling ads shown outside the country, not running a domestic social network, the person said. The ad sales work is currently done in Hong Kong. The person asked not to be identified discussing private matters.
“We have long said that we are interested in China, and are spending time understanding and learning more about the country,” a Facebook spokeswoman said in an e-mailed statement. “However, we have not made any decision on our approach to China. Our focus right now is on helping Chinese businesses and developers expand to new markets outside China by using our ad platform.” The company declined to comment on the New York Times report or its real estate interests.
We received an invitation from the Stripe guys to join the Private Beta version. We recommend this great platform to manage payments through credit cards. Here I copy paste the original message:
Good news: we are up and running in private beta, and we're excited to invite you to take part. All of our standard docs and features apply — learn more here: https://stripe.com/docs You can get started right away: https://stripe.com/welcome/fdRobY As of today, you can accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express transactions in any of our 100+ supported currencies and be paid out in HKD. We'd love to hear your feedback, either on using Stripe as a whole, or on Hong Kong-specific details. We'd especially like to hear about any glitches so we can fix them as soon as possible — you can reach our Hong Kong team at firstname.lastname@example.org, or get help anytime at https://support.stripe.com/. Let us know if we can help with anything at all as you're getting started with Stripe.